Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Fathers Day: Mother

                             …It is my hope that young women today reevaluate their lives, themselves and what they would like
                                               their lives to actually be…you have to consider what you are saying to the next generation…  
                                                                                                                            - Cicely Tyson, May 28, 2013, The View Talk show

I usually write separate blogs honoring mothers and fathers.  This year I have combined the celebrations into a season finale May/June “double-issue” with a special article about Will Smith and son, Jaden. I came across the interview as I logged into my AOL® email. But first

males, boys, humans
come into
being
through the portal
of females

The phenomenon of human reproduction, while scientifically explicable, is a Divine action, an expression of sacred divine love. 

For me the ultimate acknowledgement of the sanctity of parenthood, fathers and mothers is when I became a young adult who graduated college but still had some work to do on self and in the process had finally forgiven my own (deceased) parents especially my biological mother.  Furthermore I consciously acknowledged, in my heart, women who took the time to advise, coach, and love me as I watched them raise their own children - boys and/or girls - with the dexterity of a surgeon.

Once I corrected the ignorance and limited understanding of who I am, with the compassionate support of those who cared, I  learned to LOVE myself, first, and fully accepted LIVING WITH my own beautiful body. (p. 28, Validation Denied Grace Bestowed).

The interview with Will Smith and Jaden regarding parental “ownership” of children, triggered memories of my own father’s style of guiding me as his little girl.  I think he, too, wouldn’t judge me, but advise and guide me…as he did when I went “bye-bye” with him, in a cute shorts set or dress, ankle socks and black patent leather shoes…holding my hero’s hand. (p. 9, Validation Denied Grace Bestowed).

The following link is an interview where Will Smith discusses how he and Jada released “ownership” of their children but remain guides as their children make informed choices in their own lives.  Enjoy!   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/26/will-smith-kids-ownership_n_3339618.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

 
On Fire To A Tall Cool Drink
Returns in the Fall…..Have a Fabulous and Safe Summer!

 ~Quelyn, Author of
Validation Denied Grace Bestowed:somewhere between the ghetto and God was something called foster care...

FOR APPEARANCES, BOOK SIGNINGS & TALKS CONTACT US AT:
Validation Denied Grace Bestowed is available everywhere and at:
(812)330-2909 or (800) 288-4677
 
Copyright©2013 Quelyn Purdie

 

No comments:

Post a Comment