Tuesday, April 30, 2013

TOGETHER

Together.

They were knocked off their feet, and landed….together.

Ballroom dance instructor Adrianne Haslet-Davis, from Boston, described how she and her husband, airman Captain Adam Davis were injured from a bomb planted at the 2013 Boston Marathon.  Mrs. Haslet-Davis appeared on The View, Thursday, April 25, 2013 via satellite from her hospital bed. Captain Davis and Mrs.Haslet-Davis were enjoying a walk and attended the Boston Marathon, when they were blown off their feet by the first bomb and sustained foot and leg injuries.

Just two weeks before the bombing, Captain Davis had come home, in one piece, from Afghanistan. 

As The View’s  Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Barbara Walters, in her signature inquisitively-comforting tone, spoke with Mrs. Haslet-Davis via satellite, she shared how the support of her husband and family are paramount to the healing process.

Together.

Growing up there were events that affected my experience of family life from: the volatile fights between my biological mother and her boyfriends (one of whom was shot and my mother, brother 4 and me, 6 raced to the hospital in a cab to “see about him”. I was scared but secretly thrilled, Snoopy-thrilled, to be out of the apartment…TOGETHER.  My brother and I didn’t get out much due to my mother’s 4-nights-a-week absence); to: the feuds within the foster family I ultimately grew up in but enjoyed family trips, cook-outs, concerts….TOGETHER.  So even though  foster care was a strange idea for me, there were enough positive experiences of together to make my teen life tolerable.

Together for me means support, solidarity, vigilance which takes the bite out of trauma…or, if an event of merriment, together inflates the elation of the experience - in the moment; paying attention to one another.
 
Captain Adam Davis and Mrs. Haslet-Davis, TOGETHER, WE salute YOU.

Thank you for reading. 

 ~Quelyn, Author of
Validation Denied Grace Bestowed:somewhere between the ghetto and God was something called foster care...

FOR APPEARANCES, BOOK SIGNINGS & TALKS CONTACT US AT:
Validation Denied Grace Bestowed is available everywhere and at:
(812)330-2909 or (800) 288-4677

 
Copyright©2013 Quelyn Purdie

No comments:

Post a Comment